Monday, May 30, 2011

April 28, 1996 • Death of a Birch

Dear Diary,

The date is April 28, 1996 and my father is cutting down the beautiful birch tree in front of our house that is 40 to 50 foot high to replace with a 15 foot high ugly tree that isn't even going in the same place.

I didn't know I had felt so strongly about that tree until the guys came at 6:00 pm to cut it down.

A perfectly healthy tree that has lived at this house longer than we have to replace it with a tiny little decorative tree.

I can't watch them cut the tree down. Its like they're killing a living animal right in front of me and I can't do anything to stop it.


"Mom said they cut it down because it was going to die in 5 years. I guess that means that we should shoot every one because they are going to die."


I can hear it. I just heard the tree fall down. It worse than anything I've ever heard. They just killed a living thing for nothing. Not food, not because it was dying but just because dad didn't like it.

Mom liked it. I loved it so why did Dad have to have the people come and cut it down for landscaping. Its like killing all blacks because they don't fit in. Everything alive is beautiful.

Grownup Ann says,

Political correctness aside; Mom and Dad still remember this little fiasco. I do believe it is one of only two times in my life that I cried and created such a public scene.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That was unexpectedly heavy. Makes me feel bad about considering cutting down the trees in my back yard that have gotten dangerously large.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a bit of an overly emotional teenager at the time. :)

    ReplyDelete